Author Topic: Chetek Lakes Fishing Report February 19, 2008  (Read 2721 times)

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Chetek Lakes Fishing Report February 19, 2008
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »

The weather outdoors is snowy with cold weather coming our way again. Button down the hinges on the Ice shack door and throw another log on the fire. Remember, Game fishermen, that the game fish season will come to a close on inland water lakes of Wisconsin on March 2nd 2008. You can still fish game fish that day.
   For those that still want to fish for Wis. game fish such as Northern Pike ,Walleye, Bass and possibly trout or salmon after that, you will have to try Ashland Wis. the  closest lake to us.. Another choice if you want to make the trip are the back waters of the Mississippi river down by Alma Wis. for big northern pike. and occasional a walleye or two.

Darn my hinge broke on the door to the shack, that's ok we have a spare one for emergencies.{ Be prepared my motto.} With the close of that fishing season coming  I know fishermen will be getting out through the next two weekends to try an catch that big pike or walleye they have been chasing for most of the winter. Darn it, I dropped a hinge screw in that new fresh snow pile by the door. Knew I shouldn't have put that pile of snow there.  ( Ah we still got one screw holding.} I'll get back to the fishing report, sorry for the delay.

The Northern pike are losing their teeth this time of the year. With this, remember they feel things more with their gums when they bite down, a stinger hook attached to your minnow will help better your hooking odds.  Oh and yeah, don't try tipping them like a bass, there still might be 1 or 2 teeth that didn't fall out completely. Northern pike action has been good for the fishermen.  Shinners seem to be the choice of bait. You can give suckers a try to, it's good to change it once in awhile. Fishermen are fishing deep and shallow  on the chain this time of the year. Early day try to fish the weed lines, and midday to afternoon try some deeper water. Don't move until they quit biting.

The walleye action is doing good for a few of the fishermen. Those that tend to be hooking up with them having been moving around on some of their favorite weed edges or drop-off areas. They are really scattered and finicky on the chain right now.   Bait of choice is a  shiner or some small sucker minnows to change it up a little. Try fishing 1-2 ft off the bottom. Also a stinger hook set-up will help better your odds.  Don't be afraid to also try some fish attractant it can't hurt when they are finicky. I use Voodoo game fish blend this time of year you can get it at bait shops from Eau Claire  to Hayward,  and from Cumberland to Ladysmith.

The pan fishing on the Chetek chain has been producing lots of panfish.You have to just keep on the move and it's not to hard to go out an get a dozen to 18 pinfish in a few hours, either  early mornings or a few hours before dark. Crappies and Bluegills are hanging together with and occasionally a jumbo perch or two, some times more .Fishermen have been moving around, water 7-13ft. with some weeds or wood present in the area to hold the fish. If you fish the midday hours try 13-17ft. they tend to pull out farther in the day time. Bait of choice is real simple, small chartreuse rockers tipped with a waxier or silver wiggler.  {Also for the pan fish bite you can give a black pierce a try, they sometime will snap on them when finicky. Good luck fishermen.

Hey, I found the screw  to the hinge of the door to the ice shack. Now I have to find a screw driver.  Hmmm, where would that be ?}

Brought to you by Steve  Sedani, Up-Der- North Guide Service   715-829-9477
Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

Offline vman

• View Profile
Re: Chetek Lakes Fishing Report February 19, 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
Just talked to the local DNR warden and there is concern over the chain. prairie lakes O2 level is very low with no O2 or well below normal O2 in all the bays.

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Chetek Lakes Fishing Report 4.1.08
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »
Wednesday March 19, 2008

Yes, the time has come for the ice shack's to be off the lakes.  Another sure sign of spring.

The fishing on the Chetek chain is really scattered all over the chain. Fishermen are moving around quite a lot, with the schools of Bluegills and Crappies moving through deep and shallow areas.

Some nice Bluegills are being caught by fishermen moving along the weed edges between 8-13 ft of water on Prairie lake and Pokegama lake, the  early morning and  last few hours of day light  seem to to be best times.  A black pierce #10 seems to be the bait that is working the best. But don't be afraid to change it up  with colors.

Some nicer crappies are being caught by the Pokegama bridge into the early evening hours.  Crappie minnows are working on jigging sticks.  Other fishermen have been having some luck moving around the deep water on Prairie lake and by the islands and channels, picking up some nice size crappies in 10-15ft of water. Crappies are also being caught in the 8-13ft of water at the weed edges.   Key is to keep on the move,  hole hopping.  Be careful  walking on the slippery ice.  Wear your ice cleats.   

Brought to you by Steve  Sedani, Up-Der- North Guide Service   715-829-9477   http://www.chetek.com/
Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com