Author Topic: Potential expansion of crossbows in WI  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Potential expansion of crossbows in WI
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:03:03 AM »
It looks as though WI might have crossbow hunting for all ages and all abilities sooner than even I thought it might. This push is not coming from the crossbow manufacturers as is typically claimed. It is coming from hunters who want to use the weapon but it not coming from deer hunters. Back in spring, both the WI NWTF and the WI bear hunters voted to seek a rules change that would allow those two species to be hunted with a crossbow by all persons if they so choose.

In WI both of these species can be hunted within there respective seasons with firearms as well as archery gear so these two orgs voted to seek the use of crossbows as well. The Wisconsin Bowhunters Assoc. is opposed to the use of crossbows during archery season for deer and I don't blame them for taking this stance. The issue here is that, turkey hunters enjoy both a spring and fall season, The fall season now runs concurrently with the early archery season for deer. The bear season is also a fall season that runs during archery season for deer. If this request is granted and rules change allowing all persons of all abilities to use a crossbow, You could see turkey hunters and bear hunters hunting with crossbows, right along side bowhunters seeking deer.

I can foresee the potential of this scenario happening. Joe the hunter while using his crossbow is sitting in his tree stand or ground blind with a turkey tag, a bear tag and an archery deer tag in his pocket. While he waits, a deer comes within range so he shoots it and as some hunters do, he leaves the area before trailing the deer. He goes back to his vehicle and retrieves his vertical bow, leaves the crossbow behind and takes up the blood trail.  I don't think it is a stretch to think this might happen and the temptation would certainly be their.

If the rules change passes, then I see either a change in dates for the seasons to avoid the overlap or a fast track for the crossbow to be added to the regular deer archery season.
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Re: Potential expansion of crossbows in WI
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:48:39 AM »
Well the meeting took place on Saturday between the Wisconsin Bear hunters Assoc, The WI NWTF, the WI Hunters Rights Coalition and the WI bowhunters Assoc. In the end, they agreed to pursue language that is similar to that of some states out West and that is that hunters may use a lesser weapon than what the season allows. If the season allows the use of a gun such as bear and turkey hunting, one would be able to use a crossbow and is already able to use a vertical bow. This would then hold true for the Firearms season and muzzleloader season for deer. This strategy would protect the archery season from crossbows. I think this was a good compromise and satisfies all concerned.
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com