Author Topic: Rhinelander Area fishing Report  (Read 1323 times)

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Rhinelander Area fishing Report
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:50:05 AM »
  "Fishing Report 12/12/07"

I wanted to get out more this weekend but I got a call to go out on Saturday and try and get my Bobcat. It was cold in the morning, about 14 below, with the lack of snow it made it tough to find a fresh track. We managed to find 2 fresh tracks but we determined that they were small cats and moved on. We later found a track from the night before and put the dogs out. It was tough on them with the cold but after about 45 minutes the dogs came out in another area where the cat crossed a second road and we saw another group was running the same cat so we pulled off. We need some new snow to run the cats.
I did get out on the ice on Sunday evening for about an hour and a half. I took my ATV and scooted the shorelines until I got to where I wanted to be. I cut several holes, ice about 5-6in., and set my three tip ups in. I was setup by about 4:05. I had my first flag about 4:15 and landed a nice 17-18" walleye. I went on a pretty good streak for a while with a flag every 5-10 minutes and catching several more walleyes until just before dark. At that point the flags quit and I stuck it out until 5:15 and packed it in for the night. This was interesting because I expected the activity to pick up after dark and it did just the opposite. Oh well that is fishing. I also ran into several slushy pockets on the ice. I would still use caution when venturing out onto the ice. Make sure you know exactly where you are going. Thing look different in the winter. We should continue to improve on ice conditions this weekend. Overall the fishing has been very good for walleyes. The flowages have been producing early and late in the day on either shinners or sucker minnows on tip ups. I was fishing in 8-12 feet of water off of a weed point. As the big lakes freeze I will begin to migrate to those waters in search of big eyes!

Good Fishing,
Scott Biscobing
Hodag Guide Service
www.hodagguideservice.com
Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com