Shooting Sports > Archery

2016 Archery bear hunting blog (the homemade edition)

(1/2) > >>

Rancid Crabtree:
I'll use this space to keep a journal now that Ive drawn a WI fall bear tag. I will be hunting zone D with Northern Bayfield County Guide Service

I plan to hunt with a bow and arrow as I have no interest in hunting bear with a firearm. Im leaning towards using a traditional bow and most likely one Ive made myself. I plan to make my own broadheads and arrows as well as other homemade items for this hunt. Ive taken deer with all homemade gear but Ive not taken a bear so here's my chance. I have 6 months to prepare. I will chronicle all of that here.

Rancid Crabtree:
Im making a new set of single bevel broadheads the upcoming WI bear hunt. Im planning on using field points and 7 1/4" circular saw blades for the main blade. Im slotting the field tip (ferrule) and can peen the tip of the ferrule onto the blade but the joint at the back end is more challenging.

Over the weekend I starting messing around with a prototype. Now Im thinking of instead, using a threaded adapter rather than a reshaped field point.

Beveling made easy with the right tool for the job. I get to use my own product. Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmJW7zdfiR4

Rancid Crabtree:
The field points are steel and heavy. I wanted a little lighter version for the bear hunt broadhead so I switched from the re-shaped, steel, field points to aluminum adapters.

Since they are aluminum I can use a micro saw and a Dremmel tool to cut the slots.

Then it was back to the saw blade

I used my broadhead sharpening guide to make the single bevel.

I will use J.B. Weld in the slot cut in the adapter to fuse the blade and I will peen over the tip of the adapter in the hole in the blade to further trap the blade on the adapter. The J.B. Weld and eventual paint will have the final broadhead around 180 grains.

Here is a video of the fit up before fusing the parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0GNV9IzqcE

Rancid Crabtree:
The archery bear hunt is fast approaching. In a little over a week, I make the trek to far Northern Wisconsin near the town of Cornucopia just south of Lake Superior's Squaw bay.

I will be hunting with Art Hyde of Northern Bayfield County Guide service. Over the summer the focus has been on practice.

Now the camo has been washed in baking soda and when dry will be placed in the homemade ozone locker.

More practice and then the homemade broadheads will be rehoned with the homemade broadhead sharpening guide. The countdown clock is ticking fast now. The season (for me) opens on Sept 12th.

Rancid Crabtree:
The bear hunt was short and sweet (almost too fast) I just dropped off both of my bear at the Butcher. Normally I would do them myself but Im 5 hours from my home butcher shop.

Interesting and exciting story on how I ended up killing two bear. Im putting together a video with pictures and video explaining.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version