Shooting Sports > Old Guns, Rifle, Target, Shotgun

Restoring/rebuilding a very old shotgun

<< < (3/3)

Rancid Crabtree:
When I began this project I took dozens upon dozens of photos during the disassembly process to aid me in reassembling the gun since I knew there was going to be a good deal of time before I would be putting the pieces back together and I wouldnt remember how to do it. I took pictures of the parts in their assembled state to see how they interfaced with one another like this.

Then as I removed the parts I took pictures of the orientation so I could reverse the process later on like this.

Despite my best efforts I still managed to mess up the reassembly. On more than one occasion I failed to pay close enough attention to my photos and tried to put it back together incorrectly. Perhaps I was in too great a hurry. Once I slowed down and really studied the pictures and put things back not only in the proper orientation but in the right sequence (some parts had to be assembled before others) then it all came together quite well. At this point all the metal parts are reassembled. Here are a few before and after pics.

These two springs proved to be the most difficult to compress and reassemble. I can envision the custom tool they no doubt used in mass production. I spent the most time coming up with a way to reinstall these springs without marring the finish on the receiver.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Then I turned to the fore grip wood and spring assembly.

There are still more applications of tung oil to be worked into the butt stock so I can't assemble the complete shotgun so I will turn my attention to building a remote means of test firing this old gun. I need to make a sled to hold the gun securely and a way to trigger it from about 60 feet away. Back to making sawdust.

To be continued?..

Rancid Crabtree:
Im down to the final 2 applications of tung oil on the butt stock so I am prepping the test firing sled.

The gun will be secure in foam and I can pull the trigger from 60 feet away while the video camera captures it all up close

Rancid Crabtree:
The gun rehabilitation is complete. The stock is finished. Here it is sitting on what remains of the walnut beam if came from.

Here is a brief video that better shows the stock finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGDF--DSyo&feature=youtu.be

The 2 ? inch 16 ga shells arrived in the mail today. All I need is the weather to improve so I can test fire it. At any rate, here it is in its completed state.

I think its an improvement from the condition it was in for the last few decades.

The last phase it test firing. Here it is in the firing sled.

Here is a short video of how the trigger will be deployed from a distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mjYXMR7lc&feature=youtu.be

So with this gun finished Its time to start the next one which involves a 1967 Ithaca model 66 Super single, buck buster, lever action 20 ga shotgun, an angry raccoon, lots of raccoon urine and a coffee can full of nasty gun parts. Time to stock up on rubber gloves.

Ill start a new thread for that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version