Author Topic: WI hunter survey about 2009 antlerless tags  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
WI hunter survey about 2009 antlerless tags
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:33:23 AM »
Below is a link to a WI hunter survey asking 7 questions on your opinions about antlerless tags for the upcoming (2009 deer season)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=IwIHHCIURRIQdopL1LTT4Q_3d_3d
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:57:09 PM by Rancid Crabtree »
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Re: WI hunter survey about 2009 antlerless tags
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:35:43 PM »
Below are the results from the Survey Conducted by the Hunter Survey Center    

This survey collected responses from hunters all across Wisconsin ( And a few Non-resident WI hunters from MN and IL) and was closed when the 200 respondent level was reached. The survey ran for 96 hours (4 days) Fri. PM thru Tues. pm) with the bulk of the replies occurring on Monday and Tuesday.   

Preface: This survey is to gauge Wisconsin hunter opinions in regards to 2009 antlerless deer harvest opportunity. If you do not hunt in any of the units listed in question 1 or 2, skip question 1 thru 3 and proceed to questions 4 thru 7.   

Survey results:    

The antlerless deer quotas for 2009 list 13 units in which ZERO antlerless tags will be available to gun hunters. All of these units are far below population goals. They are units: 7, 29B, 31, 32, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 44, 50     

All archery licenses come with an antlerless tag that is good state wide.     

Question 1. If you happen to bowhunt in any of the units listed above, would you harvest an antlerless deer from one of the units listed above if given a bowhunting shot opportunity?     

Yes:  26%   

No:  30%   

Skipped:  44%   

2. In 2009, 12 Northern units will have a very limited antlerless deer harvest quota. These antlerless tags will be available over the counter to both bowhunters and gun deer hunters. They are as follows.   

Unit______Desired antlerless harvest quota   

1----------------------700     

3----------------------700     

4----------------------200   

28---------------------650

29A-------------------300

30---------------------400

34---------------------200   

37---------------------800

41---------------------500     

45---------------------250     

49A--------------------125   

52---------------------750   

Question 2. As a bowhunter that hunts in any of the 12 limited quota units listed above, (that has already received an antlerless tag) do you plan on purchasing an over the counter antlerless tag in addition to the one already issued to bowhunters or do you pass and let firearms hunters buy them for use during the firearms season? ( even though you may also be a gun deer hunter as well as a bowhunter)   

I would purchase an additional antlerless tag with the intent to use it during the archery season:  11%   

I would purchase and additional antlerless tag with the intent to use it during the firearms season:  9%   

I would not purchase an additional antlerless tag:  34%   

Skipped: 45%   

Question 3. If you hunt any of the units mentioned in question 2, (with either a firearm or a bow) would you consider purchasing one of the limited antlerless tags with no intent to fill the tag but would purchase the tag to prevent another hunter from buying the tag and harvesting an antlerless deer?   

Yes:  14%   

No:  9%   

Skipped: 41%   

Question 4. My primary weapon of choice for deer hunting is?   

Bow: 77%   

Gun:  21%   

Skipped: 2%   

Question 5. If forced to choose only one weapon and season to hunt deer, I would.   

Only hunt with a bow during the archery deer season:  79%   

Only hunt with a firearm during the firearms season(s): 19%   

Skipped:  2%   

Question 6. If you DO NOT hunt in one of the units listed in question 1, select the response that you most agree with.   

I don't have a problem with bowhunters harvesting an antlerless deer when firearms hunters will not be allowed the same opportunity. 60%   

I do NOT agree with bowhunters harvesting an antlerless deer when firearms hunters will not be allowed the same opportunity. 31%   

Skipped:  9%   

Question 7. If you DO NOT hunt one of the units listed in question 2, select the response that you most agree with.   

I don't have a problem with bowhunters purchasing an additional antlerless deer tag:  52%   

I do NOT agree with bowhunters being able to purchase an additional antlerless deer tag since they already receive one when buying their archery tag:  39%  Skipped:  10%   

The last section offered a place to comment on the survey questions/topics. It read:  8.  In regards to the questions above, please provide additional comments in regards to any question you felt the available choices provided did not adequately capture your opinion.   

52 Total Comments.  Most comments were well thought out and on point. Others were............. Well, let's just say, they were interesting even if some had nothing to do with the questions asked.     

1. Do you think the DNR is capable of managing the deer herd............ Absolutely NO!   

2. what your point dufuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

3. end baiting   

4. At this point I question whether I will be hunting at all   

5. Get rid of EAB and T-zones forever   

6. Shoot the deer before the wolves get them   

7. No EAB   

8. End the Oct and Dec. Antlerless gun seasons   

9. ban baiting NOW!!   

10. The DNR is way to powerfull just like the DOT   

11. As long as the DNR is not selling more tags than there are deer.   

12. i like to shoot does
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com