General Category > Outdoor Related Craft Projects

homemade meat smoker project

<< < (3/3)

Rancid Crabtree:
Seems I am a poor cost estimator. I sat down with the receipts tonight and it came to $475. Still far less than the $4,000 commercial unit that didn?t do cold smoking and had fewer racks. It was a fun project and will produce many years worth of good eats..

Rancid Crabtree:
The propane burner arrived. It?s a heavy and durable piece of equipment. The only mod I made was cutting 2 inches off of the legs to lower it. Then I went and got some iron pipe and fitting so I don?t have to have any rubber regulator line inside the heat of the smoker.

Then a notch in a tile and a hole drilled through the side wall.

I?ve got gas.

I lit the smallest burner ring and let it burn to see how hot I could get it at its max setting. I brought the inside temp to 270F which is way hotter that anything I will be needing but I wanted to test out the door seal gasket and see if the whole thing would take the heat. Each burner is adjustable so I will be able to tweak the heat as I like and have extra to spare for when it below zero outside.

Time to put some meat in this thing.

Rancid Crabtree:
It was 39 degrees this afternoon so I took advantage and cold smoked some cheese, olives and salt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version