General Category > Outdoor Related Craft Projects

The "Hunting gear" storage shed project

(1/5) > >>

Rancid Crabtree:
Now that we are back from our 4th of July trip it?s time to start a storage shed project that been on the back burner for a while. My son and I are building the shed. Its time to take the garage back which has become the manufacturing area for Innovative Outdoorsman products and we need a better storage area for all the ladder and chain on tree stands and climbing sticks and deer decoys and other hunting gear and yard tools. We designed the shed and gathered all the supplies before the holiday. Its going to be a 12 x 12 shed with a roofed overhang on one side. The shed will have 8 foot walls and a couple windows. It will have double doors, a ramp for the riding mower and a roof vent because sheds can get pretty hot inside. The plan is to work on the shed in the afternoon/evenings after work each day as weather allows. I?ll use this space to detail the project as we make progress. Here is a drawing of the shed we designed and used to generate the bill of materials.

Rancid Crabtree:
I dug away the topsoil and backfilled with crushed paver base and tamped it down and leveled all the pavers. Then the treated 4 x 4?s were laid on the pavers and the floor joists on top of that. The sun went away and the mosquitos came out in full force but it?s a good start.

Rancid Crabtree:
The next step is nailing in all the floor joist braces which provide support/spacing and nailing for the floor decking. The floor is ? plywood with tongue and groove edging to lock it all together. The big flat deck is the perfect place to build the trusses needed for the roof. There was still daylight so I built a jig for the 7 trusses and had time to build the first truss. 6 more to go but that?s for another day as I?m out of light.

Rancid Crabtree:
All 7 trusses are finished and will be set aside waiting for the walls to go up.

Then it was time to build and raise the walls

Rancid Crabtree:
Because the roofed overhang on the west side will make it challenging to raise the fiber/cement siding, we installed those 3 sheets before raising the trusses. The Fiber Cement siding sheets are heavy (80 Lbs each).

Then we were good to go raising the 7 trusses. That used up the rest of the daylight. We still need to brace all the trusses but that is for another day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version