Author Topic: Homemade camo  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Homemade camo
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »
I have made guillie suits before and found them to be heavy and hot to wear. I wanted one that is lightweight and of course cheap.  I made this jacket from Landscaping fabric. It is inexpensive and easy to obtain. The 15 and 20 year types are the strongest.

It is very strong. I could not rip the sewn seam

I used several colors of spray paint to put a camo pattern on the fabric

I used an old flannel jacket as a pattern to cut the pieces from

I added a leafy pattern by sewing stips of "leaves" to the jacket. I plan to use this jacket for bow hunting so I did not put leaves on the upper left chest area.

I used velcro as the closure because a 36 inch zipper is expensive. (did I mention I an cheap) It was adhesive backed but GOOP is a great glue and I trust it more that sticky tape. GOOP is one of the best glues known to man. I swear you can stick an ice cube to a stick of butter with this stuff. I also added velcro to the cuffs so they can be tightened

The finished coat weighs in at only 5 Oz. and is breathable.
Here is the hat and pants that I made to go with the new homemade jacket.

I made some leaves from some canvas I saved from an 70's vintage Boy Scout tents (canvas) and a green sharpie.

I took the finished suit outside and had my oldest son Jake stand for a few pics. He is 6'- 3 inches tall so the pants were kind of short for him. (and to big in the waist as well so he held them up with suspenders. This turned out to be a very enjoyable project and very cost effective (since I work for myself for free)

Here is my last guillie suit.

Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com