Author Topic: Homemade leather armguard  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Homemade leather armguard
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:09:52 AM »
I needed an arm guard for this years trad hunt so I set out to make my own. I used a piece of 5 Oz. tooling leather because it can be stamped easily.

In order to do the tooling, I needed to wet the leather.

I used some standard leather tools but I had to make the deer's foot and the arrowhead stamp. I used a bolt and a pin to make them

The tooling part is done and I still need to make the leather backing and the antler buttons.

With the leather completely dry, I added some edge kote to the cut end of the arm guard. This will water proof and seal the edge and keep it from swelling and getting fuzzy over time.

Next I made the antler buttons by cutting them with a hack saw. and then drilling holes for lacing.

Next I made a cardboard template for the soft leather backing and cut the backing out of a very soft glove leather.

I used some rubber cement to join the two pieces of leather and then used a forked punch to make the holes for the stitching. I used a heavy upholsters thread and double stitched it by hand.

Next, I attached the deer antler buttons using a braided waxed thread/cord and applied Super Sheen to the face of the leather to waterproof it and give it a nice shine.

I then cut a leather thong from a circle of soft buffalo hide for lacing.

Finished.

Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com