Author Topic: Our Turkey Season was a success!  (Read 3883 times)

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Our Turkey Season was a success!
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
Our Turkey Season was a success!

I started out the hunt on Wed. morning, it turned out to be a productive day. We had three tags to fill for the season this year, the rest of the group was scheduled to arrive on Fri.

My plan was to go out Wed. morning with the primary purpose of scouting for my daughter and Jeff. At least that was my plan, I really did not expect to get a cobbler in range. I was set up in a large 30 acre field, I had seen birds in this field last week during the day and just wasn't sure where they would be in the morning.

I picked a setup on the end of the field where I could get a good view of the whole area. About a 1hr after I set up I had a hen come out on my right and wouldn't you know it she caught me taking a nap.

Then after a couple hrs. (I was calling every 10 mins. or so) a gobbler came out to my left about 75 yards away. This bird took me by surprise, again! I called for 10 or 15 mins. to avail, this bird was just not going to get closer. He would acknowledge the call but just not come close enough for a shot. Eventually he moved back in the woods.

Then to my complete surprise a whole flock of turkeys came out on the corner of the field to my left about 40 yards away. I think there was 3 or 4 hens in the lead. It wasn't long after that a big bird appeared following his harem. That was an awesome site!

He was harvested with a 1 5/8 of Heavy Shot at about 45 yards with my Rem 1196 Auto. ...22lbs 11" beard ... I am a believer in Heavy Shot!

22lbs 11" Turkey

My Daughter and Jeff arrived at camp on Fri. and we were out early on Sat. with no luck. Sun morning Jeff Shot a nice Gobbler in a field not to far from our camp, This was a great turkey season for us, a great time was had by all!

Angie and Jeff with their Bird

Carter John and Gramp

I did find time to give a ride to my grandson, Carter John :)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:17:55 PM by mudbrook »
Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

Offline Bukmastr

• Hunt like a BEAST huntingbeast.com
    • View Profile
Re: Our Turkey Season was a success!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »
Congrats on a great season Mud!
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
www.HUNTINGBEAST.com