Author Topic: Old Codger...  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Bukmastr

• Hunt like a BEAST huntingbeast.com
    • View Profile
Old Codger...
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:10 PM »
Day #1

My turkey hunting partner Dave asked me to take his buddy "Old Codger" out this afternoon and help him end an unlucky streak that has lasted a very long time and get him his 1st bird. We walked threw the woods striking yelps every couple hundred yards till we got a gobble and set up.. It was a hot tom and I could tell it was running in by how fast the gobbles were coming towards us... I set up ten yards behind Codger ( not sure if he has a real name ) Dave set up at a 45 degree angle 10 yards back in case one of us couldn't get the shot on video the other would   so suddenly he answers my seductive yelp with a thunder gobble about 50 yards in front of us but still out of view. I hear brush move and here comes a monster bird running and tripping over his 28 inch beard, he runs in till he is standing 5 yards from Dave ( 15 yards from Codger) with both the bird and Dave staring each other in the eyes   I turn to look at Codger and the gun is pointed the other way and he ain't even looking. Bird putts and runs out of there like a rocket. Me and Dave look back at Codger who is still staring out into the woods in the wrong direction and we start laughing... Codger spins around and says would you shut up, your gonna scare the birds! there was one gobblin a little bit ago!   
We will give it another try tomorrow

Day #2
 Codger was looking forward to hunting today. So anywho, we decided to try the walk 100 yards call and listen for a response method in the same woods again knowing there are more Toms in there somewhere...  So we get to the spot where codger didn't see the Tom standing 15 yards from him yesterday and I let out a soft yelp and get a double gobble just over the hill from us about 60 or 70 yards away.  We scramble to trees and get ready. This time I sit right behind a log, to make sure I can help him.
  I call again, nothing........  again a few minutes later... No response. Just when I was starting to sweat the big ol red head pops over the hill 30 yards out.  Then up pops another good Tom.    They are coming in carfully. At 25 yards when bird # 1 steps into an opening, I say take him!

Boom! and big bird does a complete mid air somersault landing on his back...

Then suddenly the bird flips to his feet and starts to take off... Codge jumps to his feet and runs after.

As the bird takes to flight I yell out shoot him Codge!!  Shoot him again!

Codge says "How did I miss?

Looks like maybe it was a ninja bird and when it did that flip it was dodging all your pellets 

Codge is certainly becoming a challenge for me... But I'm determined to get him a bird... He is taking Friday off to drink away his miss and recover from the hard core running and gunning.  Back at it sometime Saturday.

Dave also filmed the action from a different point of view.

Check out Dan's Hunting Marsh Bucks DVD  http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com/huntingmarshbucksdvd.htm
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:52:13 AM by mudbrook »
Dan Infalt
Big buck serial killer
www.HUNTINGBEAST.com

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com