Author Topic: Lowering the youth hunting age and mentoring  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Lowering the youth hunting age and mentoring
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »
I was just reading through the paperwork from the state in regards to budget setting for CWD. The document is titled

2007 − 2008 LEGISLATURE

SENATE SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT 1,

TO 2007 SENATE BILL 40

June 20, 2007 − Offered by JOINT COMMITTEE ON FINANCE.

As I read through it I came across some interesting information pertaining to Wisconsin's youth hunters. I got to the part where they made amendments to Chapter 29 of the WI state statutes (chapter 29 pertains to wildlife animals and plants as well as hunting regs) On page 450 was wording that at first looked like they were amending the price for youth tags for archery, gun, small game, etc., but after a closer look, I realized that the changes were not in the fee amount but rather the language pertaining to the age of the youth hunters. The old statutes referred to youth hunters as being 12 year olds to 17 year olds. They have stricken those words and replaced it to read "persons who are under 18 years of age"

I believe this to be a first step to lowering the youth hunting age in WI and to let them hunt without taking the hunters safety class as part of the youth mentoring plan because on page 452 it reads

29.592 Hunting mentorship program. (1) A person who is at least 12 years of age, or the age specified by the department by rule under sub. (5), whichever age is lower, may hunt in this state without obtaining a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591 and may, while hunting, possess or control a firearm if all of the following apply:

a) At all times when hunting, the person is within arm’s reach of a mentor who meets the qualifications under sub. 2).(b) The person holds a hunting approval.

2) No person may serve as a qualified mentor for a hunter unless the person meets all of the following requirements:

a) The person is 18 years of age or older.

b) The person is the parent or guardian of the person for whom he or she is serving as a mentor or is authorized by the parent or guardian to serve as a mentor. This requirement does not apply to a person serving as a mentor for a person who is 18 years of age or older.

c) At all times when serving as a mentor, the person is within arm’s reach of the person for whom he or she is serving as a mentor.

d) The person has been issued a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591,or under s. 29.595 if the person is serving as a mentor for hunting elk, unless the person was born before January 1, 1973, and is not required to obtain a certificate of accomplishment.

e) The person holds a current valid hunting approval.

3) A mentor under this section may take only one person, for whom he or she is serving as a mentor, hunting at a time.

4) The department shall issue to each person to whom the department issues a hunting approval a pamphlet, developed by the department, that contains hunter safety information if the person is not required to obtain a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591 and is authorized to hunt with a mentor under this section.

5) The department may promulgate rules lowering the minimum age specified in sub. (1) for purposes of this section. SECTION 717d. 29.593 (1) (a) of the statutes is amended to read: 29.593 (1) (a) Except as provided under subs. (2), (2m) and (3) and s. 29.592 (1), no person born on or after January 1, 1973, may obtain any approval authorizing hunting unless the person is issued a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591.

What are your thoughs about this? Here are the links to this document as well as the link to Chapter 29 of the statutes.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2007/data/SB40-SSA1.pdf

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0029.pdf

Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com