Author Topic: Northwest Wisconsin fishing report for July 22  (Read 2745 times)

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Northwest Wisconsin fishing report for July 22
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »
Northwest Wisconsin fishing report for July 22

Weather has been nice as of late and the temperatures have been hot. Its the time of year where we need to make sure we are coating ourselves with shade, sunscreen (high SPF), and clothing over exposed areas of skin. One thing I like to do, is bring a oversized umbrella with and use it to shade myself from the sun on the blue bird skies. For those that are willing to spend a buck, a good idea is to go to the local Menards or Home Depot or other and buy a patio umbrella and use it on the boat. I mount mine in the hole where a seat pedestal goes, works great. Also, it is very important to drink plenty of fluids, especially water. On the hot days of summer alcohol is a bad choice, but if you insist on sipping back on grandpas old cough medicine, make sure to mix in plenty of water through out the day.

Water temps are now into the high 70's and fish are in there full blown summer patterns. Look for the fish of lake superior to be in the deep water under the comfort of a cool thermocline. Walleyes have been a tougher fish to chase lately, but there time will come back. Best bites have come from gillz and bass. Watsit jigs tipped with live bait have been a great way to catch fish (all species, including walleyes). For the bass, top water action has been a go to. I like northland fishing tackle buzz baits, or the old hula poppers or jitter bug. Inland Twin Ports waters have been the best action for fish catches. Look for deeper weed transitions and or other shade/structure for fish to hang around. Another hot fish to lock horns with this time of year is the mighty cats of the river systems. Catfish are very active this time of year. Best presentation has been live night crawlers. Cats are fun, because you can catch them from the shores of the river. It can be super fun to get out and catch rough fish.

With summer in full effect, lets not forget about the high fish hook mortality rate that coincides. We need to make sure we do a good job with our fish release. There is a recent story about how Mille Lacs is close to shutting down walleyes for the remaining fishing season in part because of the high fish kill rates on steamy summer water temps. Please try and not to stress these fish out more than they already will be. Good Luck out there & practice catch and release.

Jarrid Houston of Houston's Guide Service fishes the lakes of northwest Wisconsin. To reach Houston, call 218-393-4962 or email houstonbsu@hotmail.com

Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com