Author Topic: Wisconsin Hunters Harvest Wolves instead of Deer  (Read 3845 times)

Offline mudbrook

• Administrator
  • WiOutdoor.com
    • View Profile
    • WisconsinOutdoor.com
Wisconsin Hunters Harvest Wolves instead of Deer
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
Wisconsin Hunters Harvest Wolves instead of Deer

The Wisconsin DNR recently announced that they have found six Wolves that were apparently killed by hunters during the Wisconsin deer gun season. This seems to be just part of the story.

I would like to relate to you a story that I recently heard that relates to this. I was visiting my Doctor recently for a minor illness. Entering his office he recognizes me as someone who hunts and begins to tell me a story about his latest experiences up north. 

All and all it was not a very good hunt for his camp and relates that the people he talked to up north had a similar experience; not a very good year. Also he tells me that the consensus up north is that between the Wolves and over populated Bears, the Deer just do not have a chance. He also tells me about an encounter that his nephew had with wolves on his Deer stand this year.

His nephew was hunting up north and encountered an issue with a pack of Wolves circling his tree stand. When it came time to leave his tree stand, he just did not feel comfortable climbing down, for obvious reasons. He had his cell phone with him so he called his friend that was close by and told him to bring his ATV over to his stand and pick him up and also scare away the Wolves! 

When his friend came to the tree stand the Wolves were still there and they would not move away from the stand. At this point they were getting concerned, and it was getting late. Finally the Wolves moved far enough away so that the hunter could jump on the ATV from the stand and they were safe.

I have been hearing of similar stories throughout the Wisconsin Gun and Bow season and was not sure they were all true, but this one I believe.

Also I have been hearing from Hunters finding Deer that they have left overnight after a hit with their bow, to have been eaten by Wolves overnight.

I have talked to a person who has a hunting camp up north and he tells me that they are keeping an unofficial tally on the 08 Wolf kill. He tells me that there have been 24 Wolves killed this year. I believe him.

A few Wisconsin hunters have taken it upon themselves to control the Wolf population in Wisconsin. I believe this is a direct result of the courts decision not to allow Wisconsin to control its population of Wolves. I am not condoning these acts; this is what happens when the courts get involved.

What will it take for the courts to change their mind? Do we need to have someone get hurt; or worse killed?

related story...
http://wisconsinoutdoor.com/smf/index.php?topic=2129.0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:36:46 PM by mudbrook »
Get the latest Updates via Email from WisconsinOutdoor.com Click HERE
http://feeds.feedburner.com/wisconsinoutdoor/pVrb

JazzGirlie17

Re: Wisconsin Hunters Harvest Wolves instead of Deer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:27 AM »
Wisconsin deer hunters across the state donated a total of 7,627 deer to Wisconsin?s venison donation programs during the 2008 deer hunting seasons.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:37:37 AM by mudbrook »

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com