Author Topic: Protecting your investment  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Protecting your investment
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:47:01 AM »
After you have gone through so much work to bring home some fresh venison, you will want to make sure it will taste good even after it sits in your freezer for several months. It is true that no meat is ever improved by freezing but you can make the best of it by protecting your venison from the effects of freezer burn. I prefer a vacuum sealer but not everybody has one. If you wrap your meat in butcher/freezer paper, it won't last long in your freezer. You need to use a heavy plastic wrap first. Wrap your meat in layers and press out as much air as you can. Start with a single layer of plastic wrap. Place the meat on the wrap and roll it up tightly. This will still leave the ends exposed it it is a large cut.

Next, wrap the meat in another layer of plastic wrap but this time, turn the meat and wrap in the other direction. Fold over the plastic wrap to protect the previously exposed ends.

While wrapping, squeeze out as much air as you can. You do not want a layer of air next to the meat. The plastic wrap should be in contact with the meat.

Now that you have two layers of plastic wrap over the meat. Wrap the meat again in a good quality freezer paper that has a plastic coating on one side. Use enough so that when you are finished, you will have two layers of paper over the plastic wrap.

While rolling/wrapping, make sure to tuck in and fold the ends to make a good seal. Again, make sure to squeeze out as much air as possible. Seal the paper with tape, Identify the cuts and the date and this meat should last six months in your freezer. I have come across a lost package or two in the bottom of my freezer that were a year old and they were just as good as the day I wrapped them.
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com