Author Topic: Upgrading a fiber optic bow sight  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Rancid Crabtree

• Happy to be here
    • View Profile
Upgrading a fiber optic bow sight
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:51:38 AM »
I don't like the blue light that most sights offer to illuminate your pins in low light conditions so I decided to make my own improvements. I ordered some fiber optic material online.

I thought I was getting 4 pieces that were 3 feet long, instead it came in 12 foot lengths. I was planning on putting 3 feet of fiber in each pin but I now changed that to 6 feet of fiber in each pin.

While I was waiting for the fiber to arrive, I painted the outside of the sight ring with glow in the dark paint so that during low light conditions, not only would the fibers gather light from the sky but the glowing paint would supply light from the under side. In some 3d Shoots, during the summer, the heavy canopy of leaves can make the woods pretty dark.

The paint worked far better than I thought it would.

In order to protect the thin fibers, I use some clear flexible tubing.

In this image (before I secured the clear tube) I took a pic of the first completed sight pin. The top pin has 72 inches of fiber. The middle pin has the inch of fiber that came with the sight. The bottom pin has no fiber at all. I was liking what I was seeing

After doing the 20 and 30 yard pin. The clear tube was full of 12 feet of fiber. I had to add a second clear tube just for the 40 yard pin.

I used small cable ties to hold the clear tube and the fibers in place.

I am very pleased with the light gathering ability of this much fiber. I think I can get rid of the battery powered blue light.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:52:52 PM by mudbrook »
Any day in the woods is a good day.

Google
Web http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com